Kraken
  • Posted On: Oct 7 2004 11:15pm
Hey! I work for an aloe company..

I must say I missed the lab testing for that application...
  • Posted On: Oct 8 2004 12:08am
Where does it say anyone had to turn around to expliot the exit? That would effectively mean that I would have turned to face the planet... no. A turn can be anything from 1 to 360 degrees - this was a relatively small turn. And while you can argue that "line" is a sticky word, it really isn't. Since combat has been around, a line has been a group of men/tanks/ships/whatever lined up abreast, facing the same direction. If they were lined up one in front of the other, it would be called a column. I said line. So arguing about the relative positions of mine and kraken's fleet is stupid, because they're in the same place.

Likewise, "orbit" may be a loose word, but it stands to reason that if a fleet comes to a planet and enters orbit, they're entering a gyosync orbit close to the planet. If you want to argue that, then I can argue just as well that the shipyards "orbiting" your worlds are in fact several million kilometres away from the planet itself.

And I've yet to see how you can jump a fleet through a gravity well to get behind us...
  • Posted On: Oct 8 2004 1:20am
I was more saying that you were forming in line with Kraken's ship, not in a column... but lining up opposite each other, gradually moving to pass. But again, it doesn't really matter... if you're in line with Kraken's ships, then I'd be behind his as well. Where my fleet jumped in isn't really relevant... it was designed to jump in behind the primary Imperial Fleet. I believed from your posts that you hadn't yet formed up with Kraken, but if you have, that doesn't really effect anything. I'll be behind him to.

If you're saying that you have your backs to the planet, that makes absolutely no sense. First of all, you were engaging ships... why the hell would you fall back and put your backs to the planet? Second, if your ships are facing away from the planet... how the hell did you use the planetary defenses on Brutus? And are you hiding behind your shipyards? I'm fine with you bring in orbit, but being in low orbit ducking with your back tothe surface... that makes no tactical sense. And how are you communicating with the Imperial fleet and the planet by LOS... when you have no LOS?

As far as the hole being behind you, well... you had to turn to take advantage of it, we both acknowledge it. Remember that I was watching your fleet the whole time and was communicating positions to my reinforcements. So they landed in the best position to strike at the Valhalla that would deprive the rest of your fleet from having a shot. Since you did not elect to turn and take that hole, and instead remained/reaffirmed your position with Kraken's fleet, I can still jump in behind you, barring your position of non-sensibility being confirmed by someone other then you. Can I jump through a mass shadow/gravity well? Welll... yes... but I'd rather not for a few reasons. Note that my GC ships cannot jump through the gravity well I am enacting of their own power, and thus will appear at the edge of the well of mine. Nor can they jump through a planets grav well, but I'm still asserting that it makes no sense for your ships to be in the positon you say they are, and thus the planets grav well would merely delay me from being in firing range, at most, a round.
  • Posted On: Oct 8 2004 3:29am
Umm... yeah. That was, I think, mostly BS, since having one's back to the planet is the best possible tactical option. Why? Because it prevents people from doing exactly what you are trying to do. It's the same idea as having a wall at your back - even if you're outnumbered, at least they can't get behind you. They can only attack from three out of four angles (or, in this case, five). The fact that Kraken used planetary defences against Brutus is also irrelevant - the direction the ships are facing has no baring on the range or angle of a planetary weapon.

The fleet's position relative to the shipyards doesn't matter, because unless they were way way way out, they would still be inside the planetary gravity well. Which they are.

So whether or not you know where my fleet it, it is a physical impossibility to jump directly into range of it. You can jump above or below us and move into range, but you cannot jump into firing range. And obviously such a move on your part means we know your position.

So, basically, what's your point? You said a whole lot, but none of it matters because it's still not physically possible to do what you're saying you've done. Nor is it possible for you to land with us in your sights, but yourself out of range of our guns.
  • Posted On: Oct 8 2004 4:08pm
Ok, so let me get this straight. From Ahnk's point of view. He thinks that we have our ships facing the planet, so that when he jumped in, he jumped his ships with our ships facing torward the planet, so even though our ships are between him, and the planet, he's still technically behind us?

Ok, so answer another question then for me plz. Would Ahnk, be or not be, within firing range this post? If not then I would basically reorganize and turn my fleet for combat.

Oh, and another thing, OT - Last night I played a game on XBox called Dungeons and Dragons: Heroes. Considering that there was something in there that we had to find called an Ahnk, could this be where the name Ahnk comes from?
  • Posted On: Oct 8 2004 5:06pm
Ummm.. I was going to attempt to write a post today in response to Simon, so I began to search for the "Opening Doors" RP on the Battlegrounds.

I can't seem to find it. It seems to have vanished. I tried a 'search' and nothing comes up.

Did it get deleted? Or do I just need to clean my monitor?
  • Posted On: Oct 8 2004 6:08pm
I am not seeing it either. Strange. Maybe it has been moved for staff ruling purposes? (Is wildly speculating)
  • Posted On: Oct 8 2004 6:13pm
I wouldn't know about the whole Dungeons and Dragons thing, but as far as I know, Ahnk is actually the name of a symbol / heiroglyph (sp?) used in Egypt (Kimet) / northen africa . It I think is used to symbolize life, or rather the whole 'cycle' of it.

Usually a loop at the top, (representing the female aspect), connecting to a kind of half-cross (representing the male aspect).

Thats just of the top of my head, so I don't know if any of that is accurate or not, but hey.

Well, you've made me rattle on about something entirely random...

*wanders off*
  • Posted On: Oct 8 2004 6:54pm
It also has something to do with vampires or some such (the symbol Seth spoke about, not a new meaning)
  • Posted On: Oct 8 2004 7:28pm
That British bastard is correct.