Planetary Takeovers
  • Posted On: Mar 30 2006 1:27am
As memory serves, there used to be a rule stating that the name of the planet being taken over should be stated in the title or at the very least at the top of the first post.

I was just curious if this was still a rule and if it isn't still i think it should be become one again. There's the obvious reason that it prevents confusion with two people taking over a planet as so recently happened. But also more importantly, a group may have an interest in that planet and may want to intervene etc.

You can say that if you put the planet in the title than suddenly everybody will care about the planet but its the only fair way to do it. If I wanted to I could've done my takeover of Bothan Space with no title and just called it like Marth's dinner party and nobody would probably notice. But I didn't and now I'm faced with two opponents but that's the way it should be. I don't have time or a desire to read everybody's posts and try to figure out what planet they're taking over. Hell, this could even lead to somebody writing 5,000 words about their bath and then in the last 100 words being like, and oh btw we took over this planet. That's not fair.

I only bring it up because recently there was a conflict with two threads taking over Serenno. The conflict has been resolved nicely but for the future it might be in the interest of everybody to recreate the rule or something.
  • Posted On: Mar 30 2006 1:57am
I agree. And in addition, since it would be inefficient to list all planets involved in a larger thread, I believe takeovers of more than 2 planets should simply be labled multiple takovers, and then the planets that are being taken over should be listed at the top of the thread.

And Yardo... Yeah. It's no longer an attack on Serenno, the target's been changed to Bandomeer. So yeah. That's all fixed, though there's nothing I can do about the title, though. That's permanent.
  • Posted On: Mar 30 2006 2:04am
It never ceased to be a rule...
  • Posted On: Mar 30 2006 2:18am
Its not in the rules I just checked. And it's not obeyed if it is a rule.
  • Posted On: Mar 30 2006 2:22am
Then list names... threads and links
  • Posted On: Mar 30 2006 2:27am
Lâ Unîön is the only current one I've seen though there has been some in the past: <a href=http://www.therebelfaction.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7914>içi</a>
  • Posted On: Mar 30 2006 4:39am
If its not in the rules, it is still a well known and officially sanctioned method. I think realistically the only time it can't be used is if you are taking multiple planets in a single thread, in which case the title may be too big, hence including the worlds planetary takeover in the title, then putting the planets names in the header of the first post.

The last problem occured when TNO took Coruscant, and Gash got all pissy because it was done via this method and some subterfuge.

Planetary takeover threads must be listed as such.
  • Posted On: Mar 30 2006 5:26am
The rule has always been bent in the past.
  • Posted On: Mar 30 2006 5:29am
Also. every single planet in your Hydian way takeover thread is currently being taken ove,r or has been taken over, Kach.

And you can't say "I don't want to attack this planet! I want to attack this planet, I just typoed" when the thread has been joined. Uberlame.
  • Posted On: Mar 30 2006 5:36am
It is a common courtsey to include the name of the planet within the title of your take-over thread; or with multiple take-overs it is considered to polite to indicate that yes, "this thread is a multiple planet take over effort".

In the case of an agressive take-over, the theft of a currently owned planet, it's a downright must unless you have already taken the time to inform those involved through a more private means.

A non-hostile take-over based on a planet owned by none, I can see letting it slip.

I, personally, have developed a dislike for multiple planet-threads.