The Kill Planet(CN-1653)
  • Posted On: Feb 16 2003 1:35am
Deputy Director-Operations Toln Bren strode through Black Hand headquarters looking for his boss, Director Marth Meer. At the same time Commodore Ilem Commander-in-Chief of the Black Hand Naval Service was also looking for Director Meer. Around them both hundreds of Black Hand employees tight packed in the Black Hand Command Facility attempted to complete their jobs. It was Ilem who found Meer first in his private office in the very center of the Black Hand Command Facility. Pausing for a second outside Marth's door he straightened his uniform and knocked twice.

"Come in."

Ilem quickly punched the door open command on the display beside the door as it swooshed open he took a couple steps forward into the room so he was standing directly in front of Marth's desk. The door banged shut behind him casting the room in a deathly silence.

"Sir..."

"At ease Commodore. You would like something?" Marth replied.

Ilem paused for a second before he began to speak.

"We must begin expansion off CN-1344."

"Why?"
"The mineral resources here are extremely limited, the construction of Black 1 took up a large portion of those resources. Black 2, 3,4, Red 1 and the Rampage will require more resources than we currently have available. At most we have enough for the Rampage and Black 2. The rest must be put on hold or we must expand."

"Isn't there some way we can reduce waste, conserve our resources?" Marth asked.

"Not with our current construction projects."

"I'm opposed to an expansion plan as you well know Ilem, we don't have the military capabilities to defend more than one planet nor do we have any solid intelligence. Half of our agents have been killed or are missing after Tilaric Brel's rampage through the galaxy. Those missing agents may tell our enemies information on our location. We're working on recovering or silencing those we can find but we'll never find them all."

"I realize all these things but frankly we don't have the capabilities to defend 1 planet anyways, 2 planets won't make much of a difference."

"Maybe so but I'm hesitant to put our agents at unnecessary risk. Recruitment is down, sometimes it seems that Brel killed half the galaxy. Plus we aren't getting recruits the way we were in the days of the Outer-Rim Federation. Most of our new recruits come from children born to our agents here on CN-1344."

"Yes and CN-1344 is getting crowded because of those children. We know have a post-war baby boom as has happened many times in the past. What else are we supposed to do except expand? Our population is but our area isn't. The current population density on the livable parts of CN-1344 are around 1000 people per square kilometer. Not a lot for a place like Coruscant where you grew up in but a lot for most of the places were our recruits came from. Worlds like N'zoth, Bakura, J't'p'tan and Galantos never had that large of a population...."

Ilem's speech was cut short by another knock on the door.

"Come" Marth said.

The door swooshed open again bringing with it for just a second the smells and sounds of the corridor outside. Then the door swooshed down again and the tall cloaked figure of Deputy Director-Operations Toln Bren stood there standing. He saluted Marth and nodded towards Ilem.

"Good Afternoon Director, Commodore."

"Sir!" Ilem said.

"Ilem and I were just discussing whether or not we should expand to a new planet. I'm against it, but Ilem here is for it. Perhaps you can give us your opinion on it." Marth said.

"I'm afraid Sir that I must agree with Commodore Ilem, there just quite simply isn't enough room on CN-1344 anymore. My men have pratically no room to train, the Kill House we have will work for some suburban enviroments but that's all. What we need is a kill planet with a number of different enviroments and installations."

"See Director, both of us say that there isn't enough room. If you want a third opinion we can call Deputy Director Oln down here, I'm sure that she'll share our opinions." Commodore Ilem said.

"That's okay gentelman, you've convinced me. How about a planning session at 1980 hours. I want you two, your aides, Deputy Director Oln and her aides in the main conference center." Marth said.
  • Posted On: Feb 16 2003 8:24pm
Three men and one women sat around a large round table, behind each of them were two aides. It was the women who spoke first.

"Ilem told me about what you have decided Director, I've had Lerai go over our database and she has found a planet that would solve both Commodore Ilem's problems and Deputy Director Bren's problems. Lerai?"

Lerai stepped forward not intimidated by being with the 4 top executives of Black Hand.

"I set the database to look for the following qualities: A variety of terrain and wildlife, large easily accesible mineral resources and a diameter of at least .75 of Coruscant's diameter. The search yielded 3 results CN-1309, Cn-1653 and B-194."

A star map appeared over the table with the three planets and CN-1344 labeled.

"The closest to CN-1344 is B-194. The obvious choice because it is only a few minutes away I was forced to dismiss it because of the weather systems there. Vicious Ion Storms plague the planet most of the time making it unsuitable for the type of project that Deputy Director Bren wants. While it would serve as an almost impenetrable redoubt possibly with the same use as Imperial Intelligence had with Krake's Planet, a huge data dump. Then we have CN-1309 I also dismissed it, while there is large amounts of materials suited for manufacturing and a variety of terrain. However the mineral resources there while they are extensive would require a number of mines decreasing the amount of area Deputy Director Bren's troops would have to train. This left me with CN-1653."

Here the holo projector changed to a picture of CN-1653 as the background and information about CN-1653 superimposed over it.

"As you can see CN-1653 has a diameter of 1.03 Coruscant diameters. It's a high gravity planet making it very suitable as a training world. It has a high concentration of minerals needed for construction and a large portion of them may be easily accesible from a spot near the equator. It is hidden inside the flower nebula. Also quite nicely it is in the position of the first link in a chain towards the Core. While still quite far away from the Core it is in the Mid-rim which is closer than us in the Outer-Rim. Ladies and Gentelman I leave the final decision up to you but my suggestion is CN-1653. Thank you."
  • Posted On: Feb 17 2003 12:18am
Commodore Ilem waited a couple of seconds before speaking.

"Director Meer, Deputy Director Bren and Deputy Director Oln my men are ready to capture CN-1653. All we have to do is wait a few days for the final refits on the Rampage to be complete. Then we may start the operation." He said.

"And how do you plan on securing CN-1653 Commodore?" Marth asked.

"Rampage would move into a geo sync orbit over the mine site. Upon determining that there is no other ships in system she would begin launching shuttles. We would be carrying the 1st Brigade. Each Wraith squadron would be launched with three of them heading for the mining site and the other squadrons heading for points of interest marked by Deputy Director Bren and Oln's teams. We would also select a site fairly close to the main mining site for the construction of a new settlement and have the remaining Wraith teams go there to act as reserve. After the Wraith teams have secured their areas we will begin launching engineers, some towards the main settlement, some towards the mining site and one team for every other site that Deputy Director Bren wishes a building or bridge or whatever to be constructed at. After the engineering teams are done we can begin moving people from CN-1344 to operate the mine, establish a permanent garrison and to train. I can't see of any difficulties that might arise except if somebody is already at CN-1653. If somebody is there we would asses the threat and decide whether or not we cand acheive victory. If we can win we would attack the threat and if we can't we would retreat by a pre-determined course." Ilem said.

Marth paused to take in Commodore Ilem's words before saying anything.

"Deputy Director Bren that is your ship and your men that would be at risk do you approve of the Commodore's plan?" He asked.

"Yes, I have the utmost confidence in Commodore Ilem and the naval division as well as confidence in the skills of the first brigade. General Keef is an extremely good officer and his brigade is the best." Bren said.

"Fine. Deputy Director Oln, I want you to send your tactical analysis people over to Deputy Director Bren's offices. They will work with his trainers in deciding what points of interest there are. We are know on a ComCon alert of 4, I would like Commodore Ilem and General Keef to increase the training of their men. We will go to ComCon 5 when the Rampage leaves. Deputy Director Bren increase security around the Naval Yards as is appropriate for ComCon 5 right now even though we're on ComCon4. That goes the same for your Counter-Intelligence people. Tell Net to increase it's surveilence and send Shocker on missions to the expansion region and the Colonies. Parasite goes to a level 5 alert now."

"Yes Sir." Said Deputy Director Bren.

"Yes Sir." Said Deputy Director Oln.

"Ok, we have some work to do let's go."

Marth stood up signifying the end to the meeting. Around him the different officers were suddenly shaken into action and began talking on Commlinks or to there neighbours.
  • Posted On: Mar 5 2003 12:36am
Commodore Ilem looked over his quarters on the Rampage they were large for a ship as befitting a ship commander but smaller than the quarters he had on the ground. Soon however they wouldn't be his quarters there was a new crop of cadets just about to graduate from the Naval Academy, they'd take over his position as a ship commander leaving him with a desk job. He'd become a suit, but that was one of the "advantages" being a flag officer. At least the food was better on the ground.

"Excuse me sir."

A young voice came from behind Ilem turning he saw his young aide, a Corporal named Mole.

"Yes?" Ilem asked.

"Major Brentling has just arrived on the first shuttle, he's requested an immeadiate meeting with you." Mole said.

"Major Brentling? I was under the impression that General Keef would be commanding the First Brigade."

"It's been decided by Deputy-Director Bren that Major Keef would be the commander. General Keef has been moved to the position as Provost-General of the Academy. Along with him are various NCO's from the First Brigade who are know instructors." Corporal Mole said.

"It seems that General Keef had become a suit before him. Meaning that his time as a ship commander was definetely nearing it's end." Ilem though.

"Very well I will be in the main Conference Chamber." Ilem said.

He turned away from his aide as a sign of dismissal and picked up his service blaster off the bed. He holstered the blaster and turned to the door and left the room walking in his distinctive long stride.
  • Posted On: Mar 13 2003 8:53pm
1,925 Words.
  • Posted On: Mar 18 2003 1:49am
Commodore Ilem strode into the Conference Chamber followed closely by his two aides, Lieutenant Tolnme and Lieutenant Jacobs. At the far end of the table Major Brightling sat with his two aides both captains. When Commodore Ilem entered they all rose and saluted.

“Sir!”

“At ease Major, Captains.”

Ilem sat down with his two aides standing on his right and left, Major Brentling resumed his seat but his aides didn’t, they also stayed standing.

“I assume Major, that you have picked locations for your men to land at?” Ilem asked.

“Yes I have.” He picked up his datapad which was connected to the rooms holo-projector “May I?” He asked.

“Please do Major.” Ilem responded.

Brentling punched a key on his datapad and a Hologram of CN-1653 appeared.

“I started with the location of the mining site.” He punched another key and a star appeared over it’s location. “As you can see it’s located on the main continent approximately 15 km from the ocean to the east, 12 km to the plains to the north, 7 km to the foothills of these mountains to the south and it’s covered in a temperate forest. Our first objective will be to clear a sizable are around the mining site, I estimate something like 3km by 3 km to begin with. For this we will have Wraith Squads 1 and 2 moving through the forest either capturing or scaring away any animals that are there. A special Scientific Team will follow them from the Directorate of Science and Technology. This team will collect samples of the trees etc. for later study. Once they’re down we’ll load the captured animals and samples as well as the Science Team onboard the shuttle and have it go to the Rampage. We will then get throw approximately 200 fire grenades in the forest. We’ll have people with fire-suppressant foam on standby to stop the spread of the fire. Once the forest is suitably burned to the ground and the fire completely extinguished the engineers can come down and start working. For the mission the Mine site will be Primary Location 1. The Settlement site will be Primary Location 2. The settlement will be at the end of a U-Shaped Valley 10km north of Primary Location 1. It is thankfully not covered in any real flora or fauna so there will only be one squad going down to secure the mine site. It’ll be a fairly simple operation with Wraith Squad 3 securing the area and sending down a defensive perimeter and then sending down the Engineers and their Pre-Fab houses as well as the reserve Wraith Squads. We’re going to secure Primary Location 1 and 2 at the same time. I estimate 20 minutes to secure Primary Location 2 and 1.5 days to secure Primary Location 1. The squads securing both those locations will be led by Captain Voort here. Captain Fisher will lead the squads to the secondary Locations. We have selected 8 locations, named Secondary Location A, B, C, D, E, F, G and H. Squads 4 and 5 will originally secure each location. Starting with Secondary Location H and G. They will secure the location and stay there untill the Engineers have created a small garrison. Then Squad 6 will arrive from the reserve site leave half of it’s squad there and the other half at another Seconday Location. By the time the whole operation is over there will be a half squad at all the secondary Locations, 2 squads at the Mine Site and 5 Squads at the Settlement Site, all garrisoned in their own barracks. The mine will begin producing Materials on a steady basis in 2 weeks according to my chief engineer and we can begin moving people here in 1 week.”

“Alright Major, Rampage remain on station for1 week untill Silencer arrives. Then 2 weeks later Claw will take up permanent position here and the Silencer will return home. I assume that you’re staying here for the standard deployment of 2 month or is this a Temporary Duty Station?”

“2 months though my squads are the #1 on the activation list so you we may leave ahead of time.”

“Very well Major, it’s good to be working with you.”
  • Posted On: Mar 26 2003 1:55am
"Passing Checkpoint King 1 minute untill reversion" The watch officer on duty called out.

"Yellow alert, I want weapons powered up and shields up when we come out. Pilot's to their ships." Commodore Ilem said.

"30 seconds untill reversion...20...15...10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1" Said the Watch Officer. "+1, 2 reversion."

"Fighter Command Launch your fighters. Sensors 2 Laser Pings of the system."

"Sir, no ships in the system. The Neutron Stars, have decreased our sensor accuracy somewhat but it's 97% effective."

"Crimson Squad has launched, their coming up over the main viewport just know."

Ilem looked up just in time to see the dots that were the engines on the black painted fighters flash by and then dive down towards the black painted prow of his ship.

"Order Crimson Squad to make a quick run through the asteroid field towards CN-1653. Put their progress up on Screen 2."
  • Posted On: Mar 29 2003 10:41pm
Captain Brand sent his small agile TIE Defender into a spin, descending towards the planet. Over his face the breathing apparatus of a TIE pilot made him feel slightly claustrophobic but he pushed back those feelings.

"Crimson 1 and 2 are approaching the planet. No enemies on sensors. Three and Five, any ships on your sensors?"

"No, sir the first Neutron Star is clear." The voice of Crimson 3 came over the comm unit clear and perfect.

"Same here sir." The voice of Crimson 5 the only female in his squad came crisply over the comm unit.

"Rendezvous at the planet." Brand said.

"Yes sir, ETA 30 seconds." 5 said.

"ETA 25 seconds." 3 said.

Brand slowed his fighter down as the rest of his squad caught up.

"Break up individually, overfly the planet." Brand said after his squad had caught up with him.

Pushing his stick forward his Defender went into a steep dive screaming down through the atmostphere of the planet. Brand kept his eye on the altimeter and pulled back on the stick when the altimeter reached 150m. His fighter rocketed over the trees, then plains then trees again. A glance at his scanners showed no sentient life forms or signs of technology. A chain of mountains rose up in front of him like jagged teeth. He eased his fighter up a bit to 200m and sped between the first jagged spires. Ahead of him the trail branched to the right. He twisted the stick slightly and the fighter screamed off on a new course. Ahead of him a family of birds awakened from their rest flew into the air sqwaking. Then he was past the mountains and over an ocean. Below him fish jumped out of the water and were grabbed by predatory birds.

What a beautifal planet. Untouched, unspoiled by humans or any other form of sentient life.

It made Brand feel slightly guilty that he was polluting this formerly untouched atmosphere. Ahead and to the sides he could see the black specks that were the other fighters in his squad.

"Collumn in 10 klicks." he said.

Double clicks came over his comm telling him that the rest of his squad had gotten his message. Glancing at rangefinder he saw the numbers scroll down towards 0. At 0 he pulled back on the stick and sent his fighter into a 90 degree climb slightly leading the other fighters in his squad who were arranged in a pentagon formation around him. Upon reaching space he changed his fighter's course towards the Rampage and was pleased to see that the other fighters in his squad were still in formation with him.

"Prism formation untill we get to the Rampage." Brand said.

Brand slowed his speed slightly as the other fighters in his squad formed up on him so that each fighter was at the point of a 3-dimensional diamond.
  • Posted On: Mar 30 2003 9:21pm
Captain Brand lightly dismounted from his fighter, around him his other pilots did the same. Lara also known as Crimson 5 came over to him, beautifal as ever in her tight black TIE Pilot jumpsuit.

"What was with the formation flying at the end boss?" Lara asked.

"Just wanted to see if you guys still had your skills, we haven't really flown for a while." Brand said.

Lara nodded. "Well I think you impressed some of our friends on the Rampage, here comes the Commodore to congratulate you."

"Captain Brand, Flight Officer Petothel, that was some brilliant flying you did." Commodore Ilem said.

"It was nothing sir." Brand said. "Will my pilots be needed for a while or can I send them off for a bit of rest?"

"We will require you and your squadron in an hour when we launch the shuttles, but untill then your pilots may have some rest." Ilem said.

"Thank you sir. Lara, would you mind telling the rest of the squad the news?" Brand asked.

"Yes sir, we'll be in the lounge." Lara said. She saluted once and then strode off to the rest of the squad to tell them the news.

"Requesting permission to go as well Commodore?" Brand asked.

"Permission granted, Captain. Go have some fun." Ilem said.

"Yes sir, thank you." Brand saluted and then left the docking bay.
  • Posted On: Apr 3 2003 12:53am
Commodore Ilem paused in front of the door to the Pilot's Lounge. As the door wooshed open the sounds of laughter reached him. On one of the couches Captain Brand and Flight Officer Petothel were deep in conversation. In the corner the rest of the pilots were engaged in a 4-way djerak game.

Brand eyes flicked over towards the door when he heard it open. Seeing the Commodore hesitating about entering he jumped to his feet and saluted.

"Sir!"

Around him the other pilots of Crimson Squad noticed the Commodore as well and they all jumped to their feet and saluted. A jumble of Sir's immited from the mouths of the pilots.

"At ease." Ilem said. "The first wave is launching in 6 minutes, I need 4 fighters to escort them down. Who do you want to be out there Captain?"

Brand hesitated for a second as he thought about his roster. "Lieutenant Trawney and his wingman will stay. The rest of us, saddle up."

Ilem nodded. "Fine, the shuttles are commanded by Lieutenant Pierce. Once they land Captain Voort is in command, and will co-ordinate with one pair at Primary Location 1 while Lieutenant Weber co-ordinates with the other pair at Primary Location 2."

Brand nodded, then he grabbed his flight helmet from the rack and set off for the landing bay at a brisk march. Three of his pilots followed him while the other two began a two-way djerak match.