Seth...
  • Posted On: Jan 28 2011 6:48pm
I have a couple British culture questions for you :)

what exactly does 'slag' mean? I can't figure if it's calling someone a slut or whore, one being a hobbyist and the other a professional so to speak :b And when do you call a woman a 'cow'? It seems to have no reference to her size or age or anything like that...

I watch a lot of older BBC TV, I just like the shows more than most American ones, and I'm running out of programs I know about. I really like the British cop shows or detectives. I've done all of Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes shows, all of Campion, some Inspector Allyen, all of the Mrs Bradford and Miss Marple I can find, and I'm about to finish up season 15 of A Touch of Frost. I'm really going to miss Jack... I know that's the end of that one but I don't know what to watch from there :(

any suggestions?
  • Posted On: Jan 28 2011 7:05pm
Is this thread open to non-Seth posters? ;)

Doctor Who is soooo good!

Of course you've probably already seen it.

The new ones especially just have really amazing production value, consistency of quality writing, acting, etc...
  • Posted On: Jan 28 2011 7:07pm
I have, but only the first season of the revamp, none of the older shows though... I like Dr Who, but there's so much to catch up on I haven't gotten into it fully...
  • Posted On: Jan 28 2011 7:12pm
The older shows do seem quite... old... when I try to watch them.

The new ones are great though. Christopher Eccleston was the doctor in the first season, and he was good. A lot of people, though, say that David Tenant from the second, third, and fourth serials is their favorite Doctor of all time... he's definitely worth taking a look at!

The new one is designed so that you didn't have to have watched the old ones in order to (almost) fully understand and appreciate the whole Doctor Who-ness.
  • Posted On: Jan 28 2011 7:26pm
Damalis Skywalker
I have a couple British culture questions for you :)
uh-oh...haha

what exactly does 'slag' mean? I can't figure if it's calling someone a slut or whore, one being a hobbyist and the other a professional so to speak
Slag is someone who sleeps around a lot ( a helluva lot, lol) as for the 'professional' aspect, it can be used in either context, but usually people are not so selective. In other words it can be used for either.

Just a note, although usually a derogatory insult directed towards very 'easy' women, its by all means not limited to the female sex.

Much the same way Bitch can be used, 'easy' men can also be referred to as slags.

You'll find in old Gangster films one gangster might call an informant a slag.

:b And when do you call a woman a 'cow'? It seems to have no reference to her size or age or anything like that...
No. This is less strong, and far less specific, used in the same way 'Bitch' is used, but considered less insulting, I guess.

Usually used to depict someone being 'bitchy' or rude.

Nothing to do with age or size.

I watch a lot of older BBC TV, I just like the shows more than most American ones, and I'm running out of programs I know about. I really like the British cop shows or detectives. I've done all of Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes shows,
Really?.. interesting I didn't know that about you, I quite like his Sherlock, though he can be a little camp, hehe, but I dunno it kinda works for him.

all of Campion, some Inspector Allyen, all of the Mrs Bradford and Miss Marple I can find, and I'm about to finish up season 15 of A Touch of Frost. I'm really going to miss Jack... I know that's the end of that one but I don't know what to watch from there :(
Actually, I quite like Frost too, some very well written, stories and Sir David Jason is a National Institution - (if you really want to see him at his best watch: Only Fools and Horses - but good luck trying to work out all the cockney rhyming slang :P )

any suggestions?
Hrm, actually since Frost there hasn't been many others about.

Inspector Morse is popular, and carrying on from him , Lewis is doing okay too.

If you like Frost, you should check out the books too, My mum was obsessed with them , she loved them, said they were even better than the series.

Anymore questions I'd be more than happy to educate , haha
  • Posted On: Jan 28 2011 7:39pm
I love Jeremy Brett's Sherlock. I have a serious crush on his Sherlock but then I do love intellectual men :) I know he had to take a few breaks from filming because he got so into character that he had at least one break down. I know they are shooting a new Sherlock set in a modern setting that's getting good reviews but it'll be awhile before I can see it, since it's seriously back logged on Netflix. Just got to watch something with an actor named Benedict Cumberbatch. Takes cahones to not change that name when he started heh

Forgot to mention I'm a huge fan of the Merlin show as well.

Ohh Frost has books? Sweeeeeet.... I read where David Jason was known for comedy before the Frost series started but he's a hell of a good actor either way. You could turn the sound off in that show and still name every emotion that character is having.
  • Posted On: Jan 28 2011 7:40pm
Oh, and I asked about the cow comments because Frost says it a lot, but he has even called little kids 'poor cow' so it kept confusing me.

I also love when he says 'porkies'. Don't tell porkies! :D
  • Posted On: Jan 28 2011 7:48pm
Oh, and I asked about the cow comments because Frost says it a lot, but he has even called little kids 'poor cow' so it kept confusing me.
haha yes, an old British tradition, using insults to show affection, odd really lol.

I also love when he says 'porkies'. Don't tell porkies!

Yup, thats rhyming slang:

Porky-pies = Lies

;)

I love Jeremy Brett's Sherlock. I have a serious crush on his Sherlock but then I do love intellectual men :) I know he had to take a few breaks from filming because he got so into character that he had at least one break down.
Yup, if that's not the definition of taking your job too seriously I don't know what is ;)

I know they are shooting a new Sherlock set in a modern setting that's getting good reviews but it'll be awhile before I can see it, since it's seriously back logged on Netflix. Just got to watch something with an actor named Benedict Cumberbatch. Takes cahones to not change that name when he started heh
Ah yes, I have heard of this, I'm sure you'd know more about it than I, since you've been on netflix, I'll give you a heads up once it appears on TV if you like.

Merlin is interesting, I know a guy who is obsessed with it, but then he's always been into King Arthur etc...

Ohh Frost has books? Sweeeeeet.... I read where David Jason was known for comedy before the Frost series started but he's a hell of a good actor either way. You could turn the sound off in that show and still name every emotion that character is having.
Yes, David J is a great actor, brilliant in comedy and equally good in his more serious roles.

As for the Books , the series itself was taken from them, and from what I understand they had to cut a lot out.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_IBgk05iL3Y" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>
  • Posted On: Jan 28 2011 7:53pm
:: smacks forehead:: Oh yeah, I knew the series was based on some books heh

damn funny clip that :) I'll have to see if it's on Netflix, that's where I do most of my show watching while I craft things :)
  • Posted On: Jan 28 2011 8:51pm
I'll have a think about what to recommend...

Seems like you've watched a great deal, I have to say I do like Jeremy Brett's Holmes too.

A certain dramatic flair ;)