Mines
  • Posted On: Aug 24 2004 1:16am
I was wondering about a couple of things with mines. What are their specs, do they count towards meterage?
  • Posted On: Aug 24 2004 1:23am
It was never decided. FOR NOW, they don't count against meterage, I think. That was the concensus. I'd like to see that changed. I'd like to get some stats. It's up in the air.
  • Posted On: Aug 24 2004 2:14am
I see. Alright, thanks.
  • Posted On: Aug 24 2004 2:30am
I have a question about mines.

What exactly doe we use them for? I can understand them being use to interdict a space lane or surround a fortress world, restricting the sphereical possibilities of attack and escape. However, I am confused as to what they do.

Are mines small battlestations; little more than droid-brains manning a laser cannon and missile battery? Or are they sensitive droid-brain operated explosive containers, programmed to detonate when a ship comes within range? This former principle I can understand as given the SW mindset, especially the Imperial one, how that would be feasible. The latter also would also be feasible, and considerably more practical.

It is my opinion that mines be divided into two categories - those which are self contained yet unmanned battlestations deployed in a network for a given and defined purpose; and those deployed for a given purpose that are proximity or otherwise detonated and carry no activated arms save explosives.

It is likewise my opinion that the former, those that fight, be counted towards meterage. I would then suggest that those deployed only as a field in the old school manner be not counted towards meterage. However, so to ensure that a con must be accepted with each, a roleplay must be written about their deployment, purpose, and scope.

For example - those mines that are stations unto themselves can be deployed according to a group's wishes. The deployment of the matter must be rped either in an ongoing thread or at some point in any. This may be the principle scope of that post, or in passing in several. The larger the field, the more lanes they are blocking et al, must have more dedicated to them.
  • Posted On: Aug 24 2004 4:13am
The problem with mines is that there are so many types. Most people use them to protect their planets, for what it's worth... in Star by Star, Coruscant had a mine field controlled by the military, which allowed them to regulate traffic very effectively.

The Vong, on the other hand, successfully used mines to impede hyperspace travel on major hyperlanes.

I think a complete revision on mines is in order, and a drastic change in their production rules and mantinence...
  • Posted On: Aug 24 2004 10:47am
Gah! They still don't count towards meterage?! I'm pretty sure Gue told me they did and I deleted all of GC's mines to keep to our meterage!
  • Posted On: Aug 29 2004 9:13pm
They do, read the meterage thread Ahnk posted about planetary defenses. In it multiple people, including ahnk himself, have stated they count. I dont even know why this thread exists.
  • Posted On: Aug 29 2004 9:17pm
Because Kas said they shouldn't count, therefore creating controversy.

I said they count because

1) I think they should

2) It's better to count them now and get a whole bunch of free meters later, then not to count them and have to scrap again later.
  • Posted On: Aug 29 2004 9:56pm
If they count then we should be specific in the allowed types of mines (a single size for all perhaps) and the damage they can do.

Ideas (from those of you that have mines)?
  • Posted On: Aug 29 2004 10:10pm
*I have not yet scrapped my mines, because of this exact contraversy*

I don't think mines should count against meterage for reasons previously stated:

1)They are a weak defense, but suck up a massivly disproportionite amount of meters. (I belive kas made the comparison of 200,000 mines, or 200 KDY defensive systems)

2) Mines are supposed to be a cheap defense.

3) Mines do very little in fleet combat, in most of the thread which i have read.

Anyway, I have already given those opinions before. I was thinking about this, and thought of an alternative system to regulate mines. Rather than count them toward meterage, a cap of total mines a faction can deploy should be imposed, much as there is a 50,000 mine limit per planet.

For example, for every 5 planets, a faction can maintain 100,000 mines (which can cover 2 planets up to the limit, or be split up among those five.)

I don't know if that seems reasonable or not, but it's just my example to propose this idea.