Corise
  • Posted On: Apr 20 2008 10:13pm
You have gone too far and I'm calling you out.

To begin, I will acknowledge that your latest post in the Salotai thread is well-written and well-thought out. It employs nearly everything a person could ask for in a writer.

That said, though, there is one thing that it lacks, and that is the consideration for the ideas and facts already posted in the thread. Your post is filled with retcons that negate nearly everything in my last post. In my post, you may have noticed, I included everything you had said and made it fit with what had already been written, despite that you had ignored everything Vaseli had already written and just planned your own storyline. I did not touch one piece of Confederation equipment, I did not do anything outside what you had stated, I even had the government as supporters of the Confederation and allowed your fleet to remain, despite Vaseli having given the strong hint that neither assertion was accurate. And then I see this post today, and I find that you did it again.

Allow me to point out a few of your more blatant retcons and what from the previous post they violate.

1) "Green gases began to flow across the battlefield; knocking out those hard-hearted peoples who continued to fight over Salotai’s allegiance into a void abyss; temporal exile from the living of Salotai. Their conflicting thoughts smashed into nothingness, remembered only by a few old friends; those who still lived and contributed to the beauty of Salotai."

Now, the objection I have here is two-fold. First, you have the mob composed entirely of brutes and fighters. Now, unless the entire population of Salotai minus the 10,000 or so Confederation supporters are brutes and fighters, we have a problem. Second, I have a problem with the word fight - you cannot call a one-sided protest much of a fight. A few scattered supporters (remember, most stayed at home and locked the doors) don't make for much of a fight.

2) You assume a democratically elected government with ministers and such on a world that leans as a whole towards the Empire. Does that really make sense?

3) “Because they’re becoming far too overextended for their own good,” commented Thorn, “and I willing to bet that whatever passes as their high command knows that. There are Imperial forces trying to keep the Bothan Sector pacified, and frankly, the Bothans aren’t too pleased with their presence. An insurgency there is running rampant, killing off squads of men a day; and that can’t be good for morale. In addition, the Empire is literally having to shell out all of the money to keep those planet’s infrastructure running because the Bothan governments transferred all of their funds to the Coalition before they capitulated. They're also fighting off their traitor, Kris Enfield, and the forces of his True Empire, which is essentially a civil war between the two. And of course, there are a host of minor insurgencies running about from Thyferra to New Holstice. Each one by itself may not account for much, but in the end, they are draining a small army daily from the Imperial force and drawing down their troop’s morale, and the willingness of people to be recruited into the Imperial forces. And of course, they’re now trying to both simultaneously try to conquer areas in this region of space and the Onyxian Sector. Neither of which will be supporting the Imperial War machine initially. If another galactic government like the Confederation is thrown at it, they may be able to procure enough ships for their own defence and to send limited attack fleets, but surely not something to significantly outnumber Confederate forces. If they could, it would be defying common sense. The real question is though, are your people willing to fight?”

This quote is problematic on several levels. First, I believe Kris Enfield was vanquished a while ago. And you assume that there is an insurgency on New Holstice and that the Empire is fighting it - did you not take into account my last post in the New Holstice thread, where I stated that no Imperials were to occupy the planet, they could rule however they liked, simply asking a small percentage of any trade brought by the Empire and the use of the medical facilities?

4) “Fight to join the Confederation?” mused the Premier, “probably not. But they will be willing to fight to keep their freedoms. If doing so requires membership into the Confederation, I think they’ll do it, perhaps hesitatingly though.”

Have you not yet gotten it into your head that these people don't necessarily want to 'keep their freedoms,' or even that they have any freedoms? Or that the Empire won't actually harm them? Or that they actually like the Empire? Or that they want Imperial rule? There is a small minority that does not - everyone else does. It has been written that way - that's why Salotai was chosen as a target, like you choose your planets to take. How would you feel if I interfered with one of your takeovers and said that the people of the planet would fight to stay free of Confederation rule, because they hated democracy?

5) "The Premier snorted, “They have some supporters, though like the Confederation, not a lot. I am surprised, Pro-Consul, that an experienced politician like you would not see that. Think of it, if the Empire really had a lot of popular support here on the planet, why wouldn’t have we joined the Empire already? The New Republic collapsed years ago, and that has left us independent for that long; there has never been a significant movement to rejoin the Empire, and is there really any wonder why? Salotai was used by the Empire during the height of its reign. We built that repair yard to service and cater to everyone, but when the Empire came, they not only stripped our personal liberties, but those of our planet and government. We had to cut off hundreds of loyal patrons and partners because the Empire alone could use the yard. It was a ridiculous monopoly that the people didn’t have a voice in so choosing. Do you not think that brutal domination and overbearing inspires resentment? Do you not think that orbital bombardments, destruction of entire worlds like Alderaan endears the Empire to us? No, the Empire would be mistaken if they thought they have any significant support here.”"

This completely ignores everything in my last post. The population does overwhelmingly support the Empire. The Empire brought wealth, prosperity, and goodness. Most of the military are retired Imperials or those who were left on the planet after the Wrath Virus. Most remember the Empire with fondness, and despised the New Republic that took away that wealth.

6) “Think about it,” smiled the Premier, “they are ex-Imperials. People don’t leave the Imperial military without a reason. There are a lot of people who joined our defence forces simply because they saw the horrors which the Empire has committed; like the genocides of entire peoples, and they don’t want to see that happen again to another innocent planet. There are ex-Imperials here because their relatives were Rebel sympathizers, and because of that, they were going to be executed. And what better force could we ask for then? None of them would want to rejoin the Empire because they are traitors, and would be executed as such, and yet, we have troops with the best Imperial training now; far better quality than most mercenaries we could hire or native troops we could have trained…”

Did you just choose the parts of my post that you liked? Let me quote what I said: "It didn't take much debate before the palace guard, loyal ex-Imperials all, threw open the gates and let the mob in."

And this: "The military of Salotai had a number of ex-Imperials in it - actually, a lot of ex-Imperials in it - Imperials whose men had trained under them and had been instilled with the ideas of the Empire's virtues. They saw it in the running of their own fleet - the efficiency, the organization, the discipline. In fact, there were few individuals who didn't absolutely love the Empire, and those that didn't certainly didn't like the Confederation."

Now, compare that with your analysis, and note which one was posted first, who created the planet, and how your post ignores all of that information.

7) "The doors to the conference room opened to admit a white-haired General with a pair of palace guards. He gave a mad smile and unholstered a pistol. The Premier frowned.

“What are you doing General? Put that pistol away…”

The General shook his head. “No, I’m afraid it’s going to be the opposite. For the three of us are part of the Imperial Liberation Front. Goodbye, Premier.”

The man flew into wall and groaned. His pistol clattered to the ground. Cursing, the former Imperial fell into unconsciousness. Kitty leapt from her seat towards the two traitorous guardsmen. A holdout blaster slid from her sleave into her hand, and she fired. A bright blue stun burst hit the first guard, sending him into unconsciousness. Her left had grabbed the carbine barrel of the second guard and yanked it forward. The soldier stumbled forward, right into an elbow smash from the Jensaarai’s left arm. He let out a sharp yelp of pain. Hawk’s right arm spun downward in a pistol whip that connected with the man’s crotch. It connected, and the traitor yelped in more pain. His carbine clattered to the floor. In the meantime, Hawk’s left hand fell downwards in a open palm hand to the base of the neck, and the man collapsed into unconsciousness."

Um...that's a slightly different account than what was already posted. Let me refresh your memory:

"On the planet, the mob outside the Premier's palace had grown. Thousands, even tens of thousands, all well-armed. It didn't take much debate before the palace guard, loyal ex-Imperials all, threw open the gates and let the mob in. They swarmed through the palace, heading for the Premier's chambers. The Premier, alone by now after having dismissed Pro-Consul Thorn, sat with a blaster on his desk. When he heard the noise outside his door, he lifted the weapon to his head, and as the door crashed open, he pulled the trigger. The blaster fired, it's red bolt visible for just a moment before it struck the Premier's temple and exited the other side, splattering the traitor's brains and blood all along the far wall. The Premier slumped at his desk even as the General and Palace guard entered to arrest him.

Thus ended the rule of the worst premier in the history of the planet, the premier who decided to go against the will of the people. Never again would Salotai allow a ruler who enteretained ideas of an alliance with a people or government that they hated. From now on, it was the Empire or nothing. The entire planet was at arms, ready to resist the Confederation invaders if they came. If they did come, and they won, the people were prepared to burn everything, leaving the Contegorians nothing more than a burned rock."

This states that the Premier killed himself, and that the General survives. Now, you may do what you like, but you'll be a very small minority in the palace in my next post, and you can assume that we'll have a large force there to arrest and/or kill you and your associates should you remain.

8) "“But perhaps not our citizens,” replied the defence minister, “some of the Imperial supporters are taking to the streets, trying to disrupt a Pro-Confederation rally. I’ve dispatched the riot police…”

“A just got a text from our Supreme Commanding Officer,” replied the Premier, “Admiral Hyvard, formerly of the New Republic Navy. The armed forces are waiting for their orders. What do we do?”"

Um...yeah. I want this out. First of all, the fleet is commanded by ex-Imperials - as in Imperials who remained on Salotai, those retired from Imperial service, etc. Refer to the above comment about ex-Imperials for a full analysis. Now, the armed forces of Salotia are adamantly anti-Confederation and anti-Premier. The Premier is dead, having shot himself. Now, revise your post, or I shall be forced to ask for an administrative review.

And a pro-Confederation rally? What the crap are you thinking? There are only a few Confederation supporters, as opposed to Imperial supporters in the hundred millions or even billions, depending on how populated the world is. You can have your rally, but there won't be many people in it, and there's a much larger Imperial group. Get it straight - the people of Salotai do not like the Confederation, and they do like the Empire.

9) “You have a 10% chance of the last occurring,” muttered a Minister, “just like the Imperials. Currently, 80% of the populace is neutral…”

Again, refer to what I've already said. A large majority of the population supports the Empire. Deal with it.

10) "but can continue to protect the individual freedoms which the people of Salotai cherish"

Uh, who says they cherish them? Certainly that was never implied in my post; in fact, the opposite is true - they want Imperial rule. They don't like democracy, they don't like the Confederation, they want the Empire. Now, you can conquer the planet militarily and lose face, or leave. Your choice.

11) Presently...

“People of Salotai,” announced the Premier, “You have heard the call for revolution by Commodore Vaseli of the Imperial Navy. It is a call for needless bloodshed. For even if it is your wish to join the Empire, it can be accomplished bloodlessly and without inhumane brutality. If it is yours, the people’s wish, to join one government or another, or perhaps best yet, remain neutral, so shall I and the government elected endeavor to make that dream a reality. Let us throw down our weapons and pick up our pens, for it is said that the pen is mightier than the sword, and so it is true. Let us talk, and let us debate this matter ourselves and let us make this choice on our own. Let us not fall to this fallacy of black and white, that one government is only right, and the other purely wrong. Let us debate this, let us see past the rhetoric and into the shades of gray to see which one, if any, is a government which we can support. Pro-Consul Thorn of the Confederation has offered us an oath that the Confederation will not force us to choose one side or another, but will protect our right of self-determination. I ask of the Imperial commander to offer the same oath, for the betterment of Salotai’s great people.”

Eliminate this, as the Premier already shot himself. Unless he's speaking as a ghost rising up from the grave.

Now, I'm sorry to have to ask this, but please rewrite your entire post to include the facts that the population hates the Confederation, loves the Empire, that the Premier is dead, that the military is pro-Empire and threatening to destroy the Confederation fleet, and that there is no mass riot. If you do not, I will ask for moderator review and request that they make an unbiased decision on the thread. Thank you.

For the moderators: I am sorry to have to do this in this format, but it seems that everything else I have tried has not worked. I have spoken with Corise over IM and PM during the last debate over his first post in the thread, and he ignored everything I said to the point where I just said, "The heck with it" and worked with his post. I cannot do that this time. So, if his response is not forthcoming and in a manner such that he rewrites the post in question and eliminates the retconning, I ask that we be allowed a place in which to make our respective cases known before the moderators and an unbiased decision to be rendered by such moderators. I do not wish this to be turned into a large OOC war like Hunters and Gatherers, and therefore will not post again in this thread. Again, I am sorry for the necessity of using an open forum for this matter, but I have followed the protocols set down for dealing with a situation such as this, having spoken to Corise over PM, IM, and having even discussed the issue with a board admin. This was, I felt, the only recourse left to me.
  • Posted On: Apr 20 2008 10:40pm
I'm still digesting the above as, I assume, everyone else will do.

However...

I ask that we be allowed a place in which to make our respective cases known before the moderators and an unbiased decision to be rendered by such moderators. I do not wish this to be turned into a large OOC war like Hunters and Gatherers

This is the correct forum to air and resolve said grievances. As you have noted; we have not need of another rambling diatribe where-in the grudges of old are hashed and re-hashed to the point that the issue loses focus and becomes naught but another excuse to ramble on. To that end I ask that only those directly involved in this issue post here-in. If an uninvolved party produces a valid contribution to the matter at hand; that is quite another thing but note! Any and all comments of the aforementioned variety will be handled with harsh speculation and those found wanting will have their posting freedoms restricted as a result.

That is all for now.
  • Posted On: Apr 21 2008 4:02pm
For the record Wes, I always have, and always will be willing to work out something for threads like this. Our last round of discussions more or less failed because neither of us was willing to make any concessions, and frankly, I will if you do, but this isn't going to be a one-sided affair which I felt that TNO was trying to impose on me.

I shall try to answer your points as best I can, and maybe bring some ideas of my own to the mix.

Now, the objection I have here is two-fold. First, you have the mob composed entirely of brutes and fighters. Now, unless the entire population of Salotai minus the 10,000 or so Confederation supporters are brutes and fighters, we have a problem.

There would be a problem if the crowd was fully composed of brutes or fighters. I have to agree. BUt I used the term "brute" more or less as a moral term. If you're willing to try and kill/rape people blatantly for a cause, that strikes me as being "brutish" behavior. I'm sorry if it got confused for anything else. If you would like me to edit that to make it more clear, I will do so.

Second, I have a problem with the word fight - you cannot call a one-sided protest much of a fight. A few scattered supporters (remember, most stayed at home and locked the doors) don't make for much of a fight.

I don't see a reference to most of the supporters staying at home within your previous post, though no doubt they would be the smart ones if they did so. If you want me to include that, that will be fine with me; it makes no difference. I considered the fight to more or less being between the police forces and the Pro-Imperial demonstrators.

2) You assume a democratically elected government with ministers and such on a world that leans as a whole towards the Empire. Does that really make sense?

And you assume that the world is almost entirely pro-Imperial from the start. I don't recall any post of Vaseli's that points to the planet being pro-Imperial, I only recall that the world dislikes the Rebel Alliance. Simply because a person dislikes one group doesn't mean that it instantly favors another, especially when there are nearly a dozen galactic governments in place that Salotai could chose from.

This quote is problematic on several levels. First, I believe Kris Enfield was vanquished a while ago. And you assume that there is an insurgency on New Holstice and that the Empire is fighting it - did you not take into account my last post in the New Holstice thread, where I stated that no Imperials were to occupy the planet, they could rule however they liked, simply asking a small percentage of any trade brought by the Empire and the use of the medical facilities?

Well, Om has been continuing to fight Enfield's forces as Doctor Prentiss, and even if he has been vanquished, that still has probably dealt a significant blow that the Empire will have to take some time to recover too. I will edit the New Holstice reference, because now that I think of it, you're right there; I was planning to do something with an insurgency, but never got around to it.

Have you not yet gotten it into your head that these people don't necessarily want to 'keep their freedoms,' or even that they have any freedoms? Or that the Empire won't actually harm them? Or that they actually like the Empire? Or that they want Imperial rule? There is a small minority that does not - everyone else does. It has been written that way - that's why Salotai was chosen as a target, like you choose your planets to take. How would you feel if I interfered with one of your takeovers and said that the people of the planet would fight to stay free of Confederation rule, because they hated democracy?

We're getting to a core problem here that has resulted in both of our posts and the arguments between us. I don't recall any posts that say that Salotai hates democracy, only that the they hate the Alliance, which is hardly representative of all democracies that the galaxy has seen. I'd like to point out that Salotai apparently didn't have any problems with the New Republic ruling over it too, at least according to Vaseli's posts. And usually, the New Republic doesn't force anyone to join them, so I'd think that would likely be a voluntarily membership, which suggests that Salotai doesn't dislike democracy by itself.

Second, the matter of the populace's preference for the Empire. This is the main problem I've had with you're last post, and my somewhat reversal of that seems to be the problem you have with my post. Even assuming that Salotai hates democracy, what would make them instantly Pro-Imperial?

This is like saying that since if a person dislikes the Ku Klux Klan, they like the Black Panthers.

It seems rather unrealistic to me. Particularly since Salotai has been a neutral planet. If a planet is already overwhelmingly Pro-Imperial, why haven't they joined the Empire yet? It wouldn't take much for a Salotai to send a shuttle over to Coruscant or the local moff to get them annexed into the Empire. What has stopped them from doing so? I can see a sizeable pro-Imperial population, but there has to have been something holding them back from joining the Empire previously...it's not as if the New Republic hasn't just fallen yesterday, it's been defunctive for at least a few years according to the TRF timeline.

Saying that a planet's populace is inherently supportive of one government by a vast majority is against the precedence that I've seen in TRF (and rightfully so, in my opionion). I point to Bandomeer, which was hotly fought over by Marth Meer and Kach Thorton with other TNOers, and yet not one of them simply said the populace was on their side. I haven't seen another RP that instantly assumes that the vast bulk of an entire populace is instantly on one side or another.

I recall in a PM that you thought I was doing that. I would like to see that, because I always assume that a planet is diplomatically neutral to the Confederation unless the Confederation helps them out like a friend in some way. Sure, there are sometimes pro-Confederation parts on-planet, but doesn't represent the bulk of the populace. I point to Ampliquen, where the Governor was initially against joining the Confederation, but where a corporate interest was pro-Confederation.

Simply saying that the vast bulk of a populace instantly supports one side in a contest (without RPing it all out in detail) and giving a vague reason (in this case, they hate the Alliance) strikes me as something of a no-no. If we are going to do this, this is setting something of a precedence which won't allow fair contests over planets in the future for other groups. Instead, it'll be the first group who simply writes in what the populace's viewpoints are. This is the main problem I had with your last post, Wes.

This completely ignores everything in my last post. The population does overwhelmingly support the Empire. The Empire brought wealth, prosperity, and goodness. Most of the military are retired Imperials or those who were left on the planet after the Wrath Virus. Most remember the Empire with fondness, and despised the New Republic that took away that wealth.

We have this problem with the populace loyalty again, so see above. Now we have problem with timelines. According to the TRF timeline, the fall of the New Republic and the Wrath Virus are contemporous at 2 N.I.E. (39 I.E.) (19 ABY). So if we are following Vaseli's history of the world, the New REpublic leaves the planet at the time of the Wrath virus. Thus, at the time of the Wrath Virus, Salotai is under New Republic rule, not Imperial. Why would any Imperials be present to be absorbed into the Salotai armed forces during that time? I doubt that there are any Imperial forces just sitting in a New Republic system, waiting to be absorbed into a local defence force. Particularly so if they're from the 501st, like that Salotai general you mentioned within your post. The 501st has a rather detailed history here at TRF, mainly because they are Marshall Kaine's personal forces...

This states that the Premier killed himself, and that the General survives. Now, you may do what you like, but you'll be a very small minority in the palace in my next post, and you can assume that we'll have a large force there to arrest and/or kill you and your associates should you remain.

Two problems with this; the first being that I have a right to reply to actions, and sometimes even retcon actions based on my new actions. Case and points are everywhere. From Drayson's SOB using its tractor beams to evade an attack that I made in H&G, to Dolash firing on a TNO stealth corvette after it already destroyed his own ship in its previous post at Bimmisaaria (spelling). Those are the examples I can think of offhand, I can probably dig up more if you would like me too.

The second is that I have PC characters there, which can and do affect the choices that a NPC makes. Particularly since Thorn is diplomat/politician, so all she does is influence people. She can't really command armies or summon fleet, she can probably prevent someone from killing themselves.

We also are diving into who controls NPCs. To some aspect, we will always have to control NPCs during dialogues with our own PC characters, but actions which blantantly prefer one side over another runs along the lines of the populace loyalty points I made above.

Now, compare that with your analysis, and note which one was posted first, who created the planet, and how your post ignores all of that information.

Discussed somewhat above, but I'll point it was Vaseli who created this planet, and I don't recall any information in his posts which say that hte planet's military is compromised of mostly ex-Imperials. Even assuming that it is, there has yet to be an explanation as to why they would be ex-Imperials who are pro-Imperial because the Wrath Virus strikes when the New REpublic controls the planet according to Vaseli's post and the timeline.

Uh, who says they cherish them? Certainly that was never implied in my post; in fact, the opposite is true - they want Imperial rule. They don't like democracy, they don't like the Confederation, they want the Empire. Now, you can conquer the planet militarily and lose face, or leave. Your choice.

We've discussed this mostly above. But are you presumptous enough to dictate to me what I can and cannot do OOC? This isn't to start a flame fest, but it's a trend I see a lot of with my OOC and IC actions with certain members these days. The only OOC demands and dictates I listen to are those of the staff, which I will follow when I see them.

Now, I'm sorry to have to ask this, but please rewrite your entire post to include the facts that the population hates the Confederation, loves the Empire, that the Premier is dead, that the military is pro-Empire and threatening to destroy the Confederation fleet, and that there is no mass riot. If you do not, I will ask for moderator review and request that they make an unbiased decision on the thread. Thank you.

I look at this, and I wonder: Can TNO ever contest someone in a somewhat balanced RP?

What part of that summary is remotely fair to the Confederation?

What I have done in my last post was to make things a level playing field. I haven't said that the entire planet is now supportive of the Confederation, but only that is has 10% of its support, and so does the Empire. That's balanced evenly between us and realistic considering that it's been a neutral planet for ~6 years according to the TRF timeline...

Now, I have only one point to contribute to this discussion, and that is the actions of PCs and NPCs in relation to each other.

This is otherwise known as the Common Sense rule. It (it meaning the situation at hand) will work if it could logically happen given the circumstances surrounding the situation. Since there are so many different variables in how things could happen, this rule will effect all actions on TRF, from raising a fleet (it's common sense that a fleet commander could raise more ships than a Jedi Knight, for instance) to running a business (it is common sense that a well-established businessman could draw a bigger loan than a new one), this rule is all-encompassing

This is because Characters control group assets far more effectively than an NPC would. If, in a battle, an experienced and high-Influence character is faced with an NPC, the high-level character will win.

(from the Rules)

In this case, we have a experienced PC diplomat verses an inexperienced NPC navy officer trying to influence a planet diplomatically.

I think, that according to the rules then, Pro-Consul Christina Thorn is going to have influence on the planet's loyalties than a NPC naval officer. Thus, even assuming that Salotai has more pro-Imperial loyalties to begin with, I think the Pro-consul's presence as a negotiator and diplomat would negate any pro-Imperial advantage inherent within the planet.
  • Posted On: Apr 21 2008 8:48pm
Corise Lucerne
For the record Wes, I always have, and always will be willing to work out something for threads like this. Our last round of discussions more or less failed because neither of us was willing to make any concessions, and frankly, I will if you do, but this isn't going to be a one-sided affair which I felt that TNO was trying to impose on me.

First, you interfered with a TNO thread, similar to what I did at Valinor. Therefore this is not something the Empire is imposing on you - this is something you are imposing on the Empire. I was willing to make concessions, and did so, if you recall. You were the only one willing to make no concessions. I allowed you to be already at the planet, I allowed that the government was pro-Confederation, I allowed that your fleet was at the planet and somehow undetected by Vaseli's fleet. Those were concessions. You, on the other hand, wouldn't give at all. You argued every one of my points.

Corise Lucerne
I shall try to answer your points as best I can, and maybe bring some ideas of my own to the mix.

There would be a problem if the crowd was fully composed of brutes or fighters. I have to agree. BUt I used the term "brute" more or less as a moral term. If you're willing to try and kill/rape people blatantly for a cause, that strikes me as being "brutish" behavior. I'm sorry if it got confused for anything else. If you would like me to edit that to make it more clear, I will do so.

I agree that there may be a few in the crowd who stoop to rape and murder, and allowed for such in my post. The problem I see is that you have most of the protesters doing that. They may be friends of the Empire, but that doesn't mean they're all rapists and murderers. Actually, since the Empire is concerned mainly with order, not chaos, those who are its supporters are usually in favor of order over chaos as well. So I will ask you to edit this post to reflect that.

In a larger sense, it seems that you have the idea that everyone who likes the Empire deserves to be demonized, and it is true that some members are to be demonized. I've written Wes, I believe, as a man who will do nearly anything to accomplish the goals of the Empire, though even he won't do some things. On the other side you have Telan and Vaseli, who are both characters concerned with honor, and on Vaseli's side concerned with the preservation of the lives of innocents. You would demonize them as well simply because they support the Empire, which is not sufficient cause for demonization.

Corise Lucerne
I don't see a reference to most of the supporters staying at home within your previous post, though no doubt they would be the smart ones if they did so. If you want me to include that, that will be fine with me; it makes no difference. I considered the fight to more or less being between the police forces and the Pro-Imperial demonstrators.

Here's another thing I have a bit of a problem with. I can understand the police being called out to restore order in certain areas - but this is not a violent mob - nowhere is that indicated. They are protesters, people who are angry at their government for going against their will. So this vast fight that you claim happening would not be happening. I don't mind you having this small story if only you state that it is limited and rare within the protest.

And you also automatically assume that the police are pro-Confederation - that language is replete throughout your post. Yet you have done no work to prove that. If you are going to require me to prove that every segment of the population is on my side, I'll require the same from you. More about this later, though.

Corise Lucerne
And you assume that the world is almost entirely pro-Imperial from the start. I don't recall any post of Vaseli's that points to the planet being pro-Imperial, I only recall that the world dislikes the Rebel Alliance. Simply because a person dislikes one group doesn't mean that it instantly favors another, especially when there are nearly a dozen galactic governments in place that Salotai could chose from.

Here's the thing. I actually created the world and gave it to Vaseli to take, mostly because I don't have the time to write like you do. I couldn't run the entire strategy by myself. So I delegated. His posts do indicate pro-Imperial sentiment; even if they didn't, my post does, blatently. You simply chose to ignore my post.

Corise Lucerne
Well, Om has been continuing to fight Enfield's forces as Doctor Prentiss, and even if he has been vanquished, that still has probably dealt a significant blow that the Empire will have to take some time to recover too. I will edit the New Holstice reference, because now that I think of it, you're right there; I was planning to do something with an insurgency, but never got around to it.

My mistake then. And that is simply the opinion of a diplomat anyway, so I'll let it slide.

Corise Lucerne
We're getting to a core problem here that has resulted in both of our posts and the arguments between us. I don't recall any posts that say that Salotai hates democracy, only that the they hate the Alliance, which is hardly representative of all democracies that the galaxy has seen. I'd like to point out that Salotai apparently didn't have any problems with the New Republic ruling over it too, at least according to Vaseli's posts. And usually, the New Republic doesn't force anyone to join them, so I'd think that would likely be a voluntarily membership, which suggests that Salotai doesn't dislike democracy by itself.

I can give a number of examples where the population was forced to join the New Republic, actually, for strategic sense, or just that the planet was originally controlled by the Empire and when they were driven out, the NR just took over. That is what I indicated happened at Salotai.

Corise Lucerne
Second, the matter of the populace's preference for the Empire. This is the main problem I've had with you're last post, and my somewhat reversal of that seems to be the problem you have with my post. Even assuming that Salotai hates democracy, what would make them instantly Pro-Imperial?

This is like saying that since if a person dislikes the Ku Klux Klan, they like the Black Panthers.

It seems rather unrealistic to me. Particularly since Salotai has been a neutral planet. If a planet is already overwhelmingly Pro-Imperial, why haven't they joined the Empire yet? It wouldn't take much for a Salotai to send a shuttle over to Coruscant or the local moff to get them annexed into the Empire. What has stopped them from doing so? I can see a sizeable pro-Imperial population, but there has to have been something holding them back from joining the Empire previously...it's not as if the New Republic hasn't just fallen yesterday, it's been defunctive for at least a few years according to the TRF timeline.

Well, let's see. You posted that the government was pro-Confederation, and I agreed. That would be one reason they hadn't joined. Another reason could be remoteness, and another the relative positions of the BDE, GC, and Confederation. Only recently has the Empire been in that area in enough strength to actually protect them from attack; before, they didn't join out of fear of the GC, Confederation, and BDE.

Corise Lucerne
Saying that a planet's populace is inherently supportive of one government by a vast majority is against the precedence that I've seen in TRF (and rightfully so, in my opionion). I point to Bandomeer, which was hotly fought over by Marth Meer and Kach Thorton with other TNOers, and yet not one of them simply said the populace was on their side. I haven't seen another RP that instantly assumes that the vast bulk of an entire populace is instantly on one side or another.

I recall in a PM that you thought I was doing that. I would like to see that, because I always assume that a planet is diplomatically neutral to the Confederation unless the Confederation helps them out like a friend in some way. Sure, there are sometimes pro-Confederation parts on-planet, but doesn't represent the bulk of the populace. I point to Ampliquen, where the Governor was initially against joining the Confederation, but where a corporate interest was pro-Confederation.

I don't think it is against the precedent set by you, actually. I refer to Valinor, where you assumed the government and a large majority of the population was pro-Confederation and that they would automatically disbelieve anything I or any of my NPCs said. I couldn't compete with you diplomatically because everybody on the planet didn't like me. On New Holstice, I was the one who caught the clones, yet the government and the entire population didn't like me because I was...dun dun dun...the Empire.

That's just two examples. You referred to Ampliquen. I'll say that the same is the reverse here. The governor is against joining the Empire, but the large percentage of the populace is pro-Empire. Why is there a difference?

Corise Lucerne
Simply saying that the vast bulk of a populace instantly supports one side in a contest (without RPing it all out in detail) and giving a vague reason (in this case, they hate the Alliance) strikes me as something of a no-no. If we are going to do this, this is setting something of a precedence which won't allow fair contests over planets in the future for other groups. Instead, it'll be the first group who simply writes in what the populace's viewpoints are. This is the main problem I had with your last post, Wes.

Corise, I don't RP in the same way as you, as I'm sure you've noticed. I RP long stretches of narrative, as though I'm writing a history, interspersed with little stories of individuals. When I RPed the general and the palace guard offering their support to Vaseli, that was me RPing out the support of the populace. I'm sorry if you don't see it that way, but that is what I was doing. Note that I wrote over 2000 words in that post. That was me RPing out what the population felt. I don't have time to RP out every one of the 1 billion people on Salotai, and I think it's unreasonable to ask that of me.

Corise Lucerne
We have this problem with the populace loyalty again, so see above. Now we have problem with timelines. According to the TRF timeline, the fall of the New Republic and the Wrath Virus are contemporous at 2 N.I.E. (39 I.E.) (19 ABY). So if we are following Vaseli's history of the world, the New REpublic leaves the planet at the time of the Wrath virus. Thus, at the time of the Wrath Virus, Salotai is under New Republic rule, not Imperial. Why would any Imperials be present to be absorbed into the Salotai armed forces during that time? I doubt that there are any Imperial forces just sitting in a New Republic system, waiting to be absorbed into a local defence force. Particularly so if they're from the 501st, like that Salotai general you mentioned within your post. The 501st has a rather detailed history here at TRF, mainly because they are Marshall Kaine's personal forces...

Note the age of the General. He was retired from the Imperial military, as most of the officers there were. Others were instilled with Imperial values from their fathers. I did RP that they didn't like the NR taking away the great business the Empire brought. That was how the NR was perceived. Also note that the NR was there for only a short period of time - maybe one or two years, was what I was thinking. That's not much time to shift the opinion of the entire populace.

The local defense force itself was originally mostly Imperials. When the NR came, these individuals formed the core of the resistance; many were exiled. When the NR fell, the exiles came home and the others came out of hiding. They preached the value of the Empire, and implemented its policies in the armed forces. They saw the NR as an illegitimate government. Getting the idea?

Corise Lucerne
Two problems with this; the first being that I have a right to reply to actions, and sometimes even retcon actions based on my new actions. Case and points are everywhere. From Drayson's SOB using its tractor beams to evade an attack that I made in H&G, to Dolash firing on a TNO stealth corvette after it already destroyed his own ship in its previous post at Bimmisaaria (spelling). Those are the examples I can think of offhand, I can probably dig up more if you would like me too.

First, I wrote in my post that the governor dismisses Thorn. Secondly, the general approaches him in his chambers, not in the conference room. Third, there is a significant amount of time passing before the general gets to the premier. Remember, he doesn't move to arrest the man until after Vaseli is back at his ship, the protesters have gathered, they've broken into the palace, and they get through the locked door. Fourth, he is backed by more than three men - remember, the entire mob is there. That's a lot of people. Fifth, you have him as a crazed individual, not at all the logical, rational general that I created. I see that as a major problem with what you wrote.

Corise Lucerne
The second is that I have PC characters there, which can and do affect the choices that a NPC makes. Particularly since Thorn is diplomat/politician, so all she does is influence people. She can't really command armies or summon fleet, she can probably prevent someone from killing themselves.

We also are diving into who controls NPCs. To some aspect, we will always have to control NPCs during dialogues with our own PC characters, but actions which blantantly prefer one side over another runs along the lines of the populace loyalty points I made above.

I am of the opinion that you control what you create. I don't claim to control anything that your Confederation people do. What I do claim to control is that which Vaseli and I created, seeing as Vaseli has given me permission to write for his character and that which he created. Vaseli and I created the planet, Vaseli created the premier.

As for actions that prefer one side over the other, that's what I didn't do. I had him ask you to leave as a courtesy to you. He retreats alone to his chambers. Or are you planning on kidnapping him to protect him? In his chambers, he chooses to take his own life rather than be tried as a traitor to the people.

Corise Lucerne
Discussed somewhat above, but I'll point it was Vaseli who created this planet, and I don't recall any information in his posts which say that hte planet's military is compromised of mostly ex-Imperials. Even assuming that it is, there has yet to be an explanation as to why they would be ex-Imperials who are pro-Imperial because the Wrath Virus strikes when the New REpublic controls the planet according to Vaseli's post and the timeline.

As I pointed out above as well, I created the planet and gave it to Vaseli to take. Vaseli has given me permission to write for his PC since he's gone. In my post, I said that the planet's military is comprised of mostly ex-Imperials. I explained above why they are pro-Empire. I can do that in the thread if you like, but I assumed it was common sense - I mean, if we had to write out every little detail, we wouldn't be able to get our Real Life stuff done.

Corise Lucerne
We've discussed this mostly above. But are you presumptous enough to dictate to me what I can and cannot do OOC? This isn't to start a flame fest, but it's a trend I see a lot of with my OOC and IC actions with certain members these days. The only OOC demands and dictates I listen to are those of the staff, which I will follow when I see them.

If you see another way out of your dilemma, by all means, take it. But make sure it fits with what has already been written.

Corise Lucerne
I look at this, and I wonder: Can TNO ever contest someone in a somewhat balanced RP?

That's funny. I look at this, and I wonder: Can TNO every contest someone in a somewhat balanced RP? See, I have seen multiple instances of the same sort of 'unfairness' you claim here perpetrated you in threads we have done together. I cite the examples of Valinor and New Holstice both. If this is unfair, then by all means, we'll trade Salotai for Valinor. The point is that you are able to see unfairness when it is perpetrated against you but cannot see that you yourself perpetrate the same alleged injustices.

Corise Lucerne
What part of that summary is remotely fair to the Confederation?

Let's see. The fact that you are there in the first place? The fact that the government is pro-Confederation? The fact that you have a decent-sized fleet there? The fact that I allowed you to retcon your diplomat already there and in negotiations with the premier? I'd say that's giving quite a lot. The fact that I managed to take all those disadvantages and overcome them is not unfair but rather simple RP.

Corise Lucerne
What I have done in my last post was to make things a level playing field. I haven't said that the entire planet is now supportive of the Confederation, but only that is has 10% of its support, and so does the Empire. That's balanced evenly between us and realistic considering that it's been a neutral planet for ~6 years according to the TRF timeline...

Right. Six years. Explained above. Now, as for making it a level playing field...

Do you only do that when it suits you? I don't recall a level playing field on Valinor, or on New Holstice. When I argued similar points about Valinor, you came back with the fact that 1) you created the planet, 2) you created the president, and 3) I was the Empire - obviously people wouldn't like me. The population in those threads was overwhelmingly pro-Confederation, despite the fact that your aid and such was barely RPed out, it was just assumed.

Corise Lucerne
Now, I have only one point to contribute to this discussion, and that is the actions of PCs and NPCs in relation to each other.

In this case, we have a experienced PC diplomat verses an inexperienced NPC navy officer trying to influence a planet diplomatically.

I think, that according to the rules then, Pro-Consul Christina Thorn is going to have influence on the planet's loyalties than a NPC naval officer. Thus, even assuming that Salotai has more pro-Imperial loyalties to begin with, I think the Pro-consul's presence as a negotiator and diplomat would negate any pro-Imperial advantage inherent within the planet.

Uh...so your character trumps my character? If you haven't noticed, Vaseli is a character within the Empire. Sure, the original player may have left, but consider the definition of a character. Someone with a backstory, a history, and having participated in several threads as a major character. For example, I consider Selere to be a character by now, since he's been a major figure in several threads and he has a clearly defined backstory, though it's not actually in the bio thread (mostly cause I don't have the time to write it up properly). Vaseli is a character.

As for your character trumping because she's a diplomat, that can work so far as the government goes. But the people, being in favor of the Empire, probably wouldn't listen to someone they don't know over their own experiences and the advice of those they do know.

Now, you still haven't answered a number of my points. I won't rehash them again, but you can look through and see which ones were unanswered. Some of them are pretty important.

NOTE TO MODERATORS: I said I wouldn't post again, but after Beff's post stating that this is the place I was asking for, I figured it was best to just debate the issue here. Sorry.
  • Posted On: Apr 21 2008 11:11pm
Prentiss Blood's thread, Of Tyranny and Doctors, is set in the past and is establishing the character.

The "True Empire" Rebellion storyline probably was a vision of Kach Thorton's to be more than it ended up becoming but the thread only takes into consideration what was written already as to it's scope and size (which is not that big [as written so far]).
  • Posted On: Apr 21 2008 11:15pm
The 501st has a rather detailed history here at TRF, mainly because they are Marshall Kaine's personal forces...

Point of clarification: The 501st was Darth Vader's command and has a canon history. Kaine's personal command was designated the 256th. It was a number taken completely at random at it's inception at TGC.
  • Posted On: Apr 22 2008 12:16am
Initial thoughts that struck me:

The Roleplay in general - To Wes..

You are correct in that an rp'ers statements must be taken into account when writing a "response" post. While response posts to actions cannot change the action itself, they can minimize effects of the action, change the
motive of a said action and/or misdirect the action.

If Corise ignored something in Vasilli's post, then an edit to take into consideration the post is necessary. No biggie. Such things happen.

However, this all is assuming that the action or information in the source post does not contradict established TRF history.

If Vasilli's post ignores established TRF Timeline and history, then Vassili's comments (in my opinion) that contradict TRF Timeline and history become apocryphal and Corise is well within his rights to ignore those portions of the post. It is not Corise's job to ensure that his opposition does their research.

People's Choice...IC or OOC? To Corise...

If a planet is already overwhelmingly Pro-Imperial, why haven't they joined the Empire yet? It wouldn't take much for a Salotai to send a shuttle over to Coruscant or the local moff to get them annexed into the Empire.

What has stopped them from doing so?

This is like asking "How can a virus affect every government in the galaxy and at the same time reduce their military assets while leaving whole populations viable"?

You know the answer to this as well as your own question: The fact that TRF needed to do a restart and the fact that TNO needs to write a 5000-word thread for every takeover.

I can see a sizeable pro-Imperial population, but there has to have been something holding them back from joining the Empire previously...it's not as if the New Republic hasn't just fallen yesterday, it's been defunctive for at least a few years according to the TRF timeline.

5000 words. They hold more back than planetary populations.

Simply saying that the vast bulk of a populace instantly supports one side in a contest (without RPing it all out in detail) and giving a vague reason (in this case, they hate the Alliance) strikes me as something of a no-no.

On such vagueness, planets are taken:

With the induction of the planet into the Confederation by a fully democratic vote by the people of New Infinity City, their chieftains have not only wanted their city restored to its previous greatest, but have asked for the technology, as they say it “to sail among the stars”.

I find that Planetary takeovers are written with expedience in mind, usually. This typically happens when the actual IC "reason" for a planet doing this or that is not important to the story being told. So, I do not fault Vassilly over his lack of detail for what was essentially his own planetary takeover.

PC vs MAC....err.. NPC...

I actually agree with Corise in principle here...

Corise is correct regarding the fact that the influence of PC's is greater than that of NPC's (at least as far as the rules are concerned). However, the extent and effectiveness of PC's over NPC's has yet to be determined.

This is because the issue has never really come up to be faced squarely.

I guess now is as good a time as any.

As Corise interpreted the rules, his conclusion was:

I am tempted to just go with his conclusion. Because his conclusion could also read like this:

I think, that according to the rules then, Groder Stu is going to have influence over three sector's loyalties than any NPC Confederation personnel. Thus, even assuming that three sectors have more pro-Confederation loyalties to begin with, I think the Propaganda-Extraordinaire's skill at persuasion would negate any pro-Confederation advantage inherent within the sectors.

I increased the influence over one planet that a diplomat may have to three sectors as befits a person charged with shaping 'belief' over a larger demographic.

You see how such a broad conclusion can backfire? How can one be true but not another?

You see, the staff redesigned the rules to focus more on "character". So, yes, in a sense, as written for battles, a character soldier outmatches an NPC soldier. Would... could the same be said for characters in other functions that serve the military need.. (diplomats, propagandists, etc..?). I say, yes.

It's this characterization that sets roleplaying apart from fanfiction.

That is why the rules state:

A group could be a massive empire spanning the galaxy wide, but if the entire group has but one Character, and a bunch of NPC's running it, then a medium-sized group with several developed Character's could easily defeat it.

This is because Characters control group assets far more effectively than an NPC would. If, in a battle, an experienced and high-Influence character is faced with an NPC, the high-level character will win.

But, and here's the rub, the character's need to be developed *gasp*

So the questions then are:

What is a Playable Character?
What makes a character developed?

What makes a Playable Character?

An individual screenname attached with pic?
A biography in the TRF Bio section?

An NPC can be killed but a PC requires a player's consent. But does simply creating an individual screenname prevent the person from being killed? Creating a biography?

What makes a character developed?

Simply the length of rp's he or she is mentioned in?
Having in one rp that is primarily about the character? Two rps?

Christina Thorn. Is she a character? I'd be willing to concede she is. Is she developed? In my opinion, that is debatable. I may have missed the storyline /character roleplay thread Corise may have written about her. But in what I have read, she is featured in a few posts in planetary takeovers, meeting leaders and when the planet decides to join the Confederation, she is credited with the results (usually) but I know next to nothing about her...

I know what she is. I know her rank. But who is she?

Still, based in the number of situational roleplays she is mentioned or written into and based on her rank as diplomat/chief Confederation negotiator, I think there is enough to say that, in the roleplay in question, she would trump any Imperial present. She would make a better deal, a better political barter point, be more persuasive, be smoother and more skilled at not offending another political diplomat or government leader. She knows etiquette and custom. She knows culture.

However, I do not think that this would translate into a planetary belief. Because, that is not her function. Her strength is one on one, face to face and in a small group. I can see the planetary leader liking her over Wes' NPC or character (she's also a woman... that always helps..) but I cannot see this automatically overturning a pro-Imperial sentiment from the people or crowd. She is not a propagandist or public relations officer.

I would need to read the rp to see how the population of the planet is being played... if there is a population/citizen element and a leadership element being played simultaneously or if it's just the leadership being dealt with. If just the leadership, then Thorn has the edge.

PC's are important and if you ignore that, then it will hurt. However, just because you have a PC does not mean you can ignore the thread-author's foundation (if it does not conflict with TRF Timeline or history). It simply augments your actions towards a certain individual success.

I welcome discussions on characters/NPC's... I just gave my opinion on the subject.
  • Posted On: Apr 22 2008 1:16am
I'm creating a re-direct.

Save this thread for this...

... and use that thread for that.
  • Posted On: Apr 22 2008 4:39am
Just one question...

Even if the Staff rules on this for you two, how long will it be before we're back here doing the same thing?

You want my advice? You two are not allowed to interact in any In Character capacity ever again. Period.

I suggest then you go with Om's suggestions, his having provided you with (as I see it) sufficient meat to resolve this yourselves.
  • Posted On: Apr 22 2008 4:50am
I completely agree with Omnae's analysis and advice, and am perfectly willing to take it.