Corise
  • Posted On: Nov 24 2008 5:02pm
I'm calling foul on the last takeover. A planetary takeover requires at least five posts in a single thread. Or so I've been told, at least, when I wanted to do a takeover like this. Each post needs to be substantial, too.

Just because you hit 5000 words doesn't mean you automatically own the planet. You have to follow all the rules; that being 5 posts spaced over at least a week's time, 5000 words minimum, and the completion of the actual takeover of the planet. And all five posts have to relate to the taking of the planet; they cannot simply mention the planet as a sidenote.

Correct me if I'm wrong, staff, but this is what I was told when I attempted the same thing.

I'm not trying to be a stick-in-the-mud, Corise, and I know you put a lot of work into this. But imagine if we all started playing by your rules for a minute. I could write a 5000-word post a week and claim to own a planet. Heck, over Christmas break I could write a 5000-word post per day. And that wouldn't be fair to those who are trying to interfere or formulate replies. Especially considering our AIM conversation last night.
  • Posted On: Nov 24 2008 6:24pm
^ They used to specify at least three posts over the period of a week, or something. Not sure if that's still stated.
~Demosthenes

Six days validation period. You may well post your 5,000 word novel-entrant in a single go, however; and sad though this may be, the thing was a waiting period of six days. Why?

~Beff Pike

(both found here)

It has not been six days admittedly, it has been five. If you wish to interfere with my takeover during the rest of the validation period (that is sometime tomorrow), there is nothing to stop you. Do so.
  • Posted On: Nov 24 2008 7:34pm
That's it, I will turn this car around!
  • Posted On: Nov 24 2008 7:39pm
Oh-oh, we're quoting people about takeovers? :D

Dolash

You can basically write a 5,000 word cookbook and then say the planet liked it so much they decided to join the Coalition.

No idea how I remember he said that... or if he actually said it. But: best quote ever.
  • Posted On: Nov 24 2008 8:11pm
I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was in fact a legitimate quote from Dolash.
  • Posted On: Nov 24 2008 11:53pm
And all five posts have to relate to the taking of the planet; they cannot simply mention the planet as a sidenote.

I've done takeovers where the first 4K words was a bunch of preliminary and planning BS, and the actual battle to take the planet doesn't come until the last 1-2K of words.

So, I don't really see a problem here at all.

Cutting off a thread just because you have the required 5K words for the takeover IS generally frowned upon, at least in my experience. But with board traffic at a very slow pace atm, I don't see this becoming an issue.
  • Posted On: Nov 25 2008 3:19am
Cutting off a thread just because you have the required 5K words for the takeover IS generally frowned upon, at least in my experience. But with board traffic at a very slow pace atm, I don't see this becoming an issue.

Exactly. Additionally, the thread is actually larger than the slightly over 5,000 words listed in the OOC because it includes the testing of a new warship.

That's it, I will turn this car around!

Which reminds me...Wes and I aren't even suppose to roleplay together at the moment, and probably for good reason...
  • Posted On: Nov 25 2008 6:17am
Read the rules regarding Planetary Take-Overs...

... oh, what? The Rules and FAQ don't go out of their way to cover this in detail? That raises an interesting point...

If you've been a member this long and you still quibble over dumbass shit like this, maybe you need to get over it. Because, and here's why; if you want the Staff to come up with more rules, to outline every little detail for you, I guarantee that we'll make it just as much of a pain in the ass for you as you do for we.

Wes; Corise has been doing PT's for how long? You've been a member for how long? And now you're gonna get on about this?

And Corise, stop doing things.

5,000 words. Six days.

That's it. If you really fuck it up, we (the Staff) will come down on you like acid rain. If you (the members) can't figure out when to cry foul and when to stfu, Beff will call you all sorts of names and berate you accordingly.
  • Posted On: Nov 25 2008 12:55pm
Beff also barks on my command.
  • Posted On: Nov 25 2008 4:01pm
lol @ Beff.

Actually the Staff thought of this issue about planetary takeovers and wisely decided to let the takeover request sit in the Planet List thread for weeks/months at a time before adding to the official Planet List. This way, even if you put all 5000 words into one post in one day, it will still be at least a week before it is added.

Your staff.... working less for a better TRF experience.

;)

What we expect:

That the planetary takeovers be at least 5,000 words.
That the takeovers be original roleplays (not carbon copies of others with only the names of planets, people and ships changed).
That you actually are the author of the roleplays (if you get your friends to write your roleplays and you post them under your name and we find out, the smackdown will not be pretty).
That the planet being taken be a part of the roleplay.

There are probably other things other staffers will look for but these are my main things.

Corise: if you add a 500+ R&D roleplay to a planetary takeover, include those words in your takeover word count anyway. If you say your takeover was 5100 words and then you later say you have an R&D roleplay in there as well, it looks like, at a glance, that you are short words. If you say your takeover is 5600 words then, at a glance, things look kosher.