21st February, 1952.
  • Posted On: Feb 21 2006 12:59pm
The day when countless people in former East Pakistan (now Bangladesh) sacrificed their lives to receive equal status for our language, Bangla.

Ekushey February. National language martyrs day.

We won't forget.

Thousands of people barefoot and singing paid homage to the Language Movement martyrs of 1952 in Dhaka with the clock striking a minute past midnight to mark a day of supreme sacrifice.

Following Unesco's November 17, 1999 declaration of February 21 as the International Mother Language Day, 188 countries across the globe observe the day to promote linguistic diversity and multilingual education and raise awareness of cultural traditions based on understanding, tolerance and dialogue.

On this day in 1952, students and the general public in Dhaka took to the streets in protest against the then government's denial of Bangla as the national language and imposition of Urdu as the sole official language of Pakistan.

Salam, Barkat, Rafiq, Shafiur, Jabbar and many others sacrificed their lives as the then Pakistani rulers ordered firing on the agitation.

The brave children of the soil established mother tongue Bangla as a state language through shedding their blood.

The protest sparked on February 21, 1952 progressed into the long-drawn struggle that eventually led to the birth of Bangladesh.

For those who aren't aware: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_movement
  • Posted On: Feb 21 2006 2:00pm
I thank you for making me aware of something I was previously unaware of. Indeed it is a day to remember.

However...

Bangla -- also the only language in the world over which there has been bloodshed.

Not true. Many died in the fight over Afrikaans. Many of whom were but young students no older then 13 or 14.
  • Posted On: Feb 21 2006 2:31pm
I wasn't aware of that. I stand corrected, and thanks.
  • Posted On: Feb 21 2006 4:20pm
Actually I have to say Bangladesh itself has a very interesting history.
  • Posted On: Feb 22 2006 3:48am
I dont know, I think its like fighting to make Mexican the national language of America... Something Id resist, and thus be on the wrong side of in your history lesson Taja.
  • Posted On: Feb 22 2006 4:18am
Spanish, you fucktard.
  • Posted On: Feb 22 2006 5:59am
heh.. Mexicanese anyone?
  • Posted On: Feb 22 2006 9:23am
Heir Raktus
I dont know, I think its like fighting to make Mexican the national language of America... Something Id resist, and thus be on the wrong side of in your history lesson Taja.

Uhm. Bangla has never been the national language of Pakistan, and neither was that ever the intent. I'm not sure what you're trying to say, exactly.
  • Posted On: Feb 22 2006 10:47pm
Its Mexican damn it... You found my rascist slant
  • Posted On: Feb 22 2006 11:34pm
It's Espanol with a tilda over the n.